How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26821
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is on probation and in drug court in Missouri,

Customer Question

My girlfriend is on probation and in drug court in Missouri, my girlfriend kept failing drug tests, in 2 months received permission to move in together once my girlfriend started passing her test, she received one week in jail waiting on a bed and the court gave custody for transportation of her to me, she was entered into a year-long program we're two weeks into the program a no contact order was ordered for her to have no contact with me. This was 7 1/2 months ago and I still have not been told why I am not allowed contact and never had a hearing what do I do to find out why I he order???
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: Yes, they said since she had the order placed on her I didn't really have any options especially with her being on probation.... And I still can't find out why the order was put in place
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

I was hoping to hear from you before now, because without any additional information from you, I would only be able to make an educated guess. However, I have experience with Drug Courts and will provide you with an answer. You can reply here on this question thread with any further clarification or follow ups that you may wish to provide.

Your girlfriend is in drug court, and she hadn't been able to get clean. If she keeps on in that direction, as you are probably aware, she will end up in prison. She did stabilize and was allowed to move in with you but then she was placed in a program.

Drug treatment programs expect recovering addicts to avoid people, places and things which could trigger them to reoffend. I'm betting that they see your relationship as a possible problem right now, since you were unable to keep her from using when she was not on probation. At least until she stabilizes so that her program trusts her judgment, she will be required to stay away from you and you from her.

You don't get a hearing if you're not a party to the case. However, SHE is entitled to bring this matter up before her counselor, the treatment court team and the judge to get them to changer her mind. Somewhere along the line, they will allow contact again, but in my experience, she will have to earn that.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions