Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I was caught shoplifting earlier at a Cvs, by the manager

Customer Question

I was caught shoplifting earlier at a Cvs, by the manager and let go, he told me to never return, he followed me out and took down my plate number.....help please
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you were not detained and law enforcement was not called to the scene you very likely have nothing to worry about as long as you do not return to the CVS. Your information may be sent to the District CVS loss prevention manager so it would be wise not to go to any area CVS. If you do go the a CVSyou will be asked to leave and law enforcement will be called on a trespassing charge. But their opportunity to charge you with the shop lifting has passed them by. This is becaus eit is difficult to prosecute these tyoes of cases unless you are cought leaving the store with unpaid merchandise.

The following lists the potential enalties for shop lifting:

Shoplifting property with a total combined value of less than $100

Second degree petit theft (second degree misdemeanor)

Fines up to $500; up to 60 days in jail

Shoplifting property with a total combined value of $100 or more but less than $300; shoplifting property with a value of less than $100 if the person charged has previously been convicted once of any theft

First degree petit theft (first degree misdemeanor)

Fines up to $1,000; up to 1 year in jail

Second or subsequent conviction of petit theft shoplifting

First or second degree petit theft (first or second degree misdemeanor)

Fine between $50 and $1,000--court may substitute public service for fine; up to 60 days in jail or up to 1 year in jail

Shoplifting property with a total combined value of more than $300 and less than $20,000; or if the item taken is a firearm or certain other items

Third degree grand theft (third degree felony)

Fines up to $5,000; up to five years in prison

Shoplifting property with a total combined value of more than $20,000 and less than $100,000

Second degree grand theft (second degree felony)

Fines up to $10,000 and up to 15 years in prison

Shoplifting property with a total combined value of more than $100,000, or if in the course of a grand theft the offender causes damage to the real or personal property of another in excess of $1,000

First degree grand theft (first degree felony)

Fines up to $10,000 and up to 30 years in prison

If you are having trouble controlling your conduct you may wish to seek counseling. Some people do have compulsions that they must learn to control.

Clearly you realize that this conduct can only lead you into trouble, but you seem to have gotten a break this time.

I'm sorry that this may not be the answer you were hoping for. I do sincerely ***** ***** well.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.