How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Another question for drug trafficking in South Korea. My

Customer Question

Another question for drug trafficking in South Korea. My brother was arrested coming into the country, however he was the product of being induced to carry without his knowledge.(7-8 kilos wrapped as gifts) He thought he was going there to finalize papers to receive a large inheritance (internet scam) , I'm looking for an agency to help catch these guys, already working with the Embassy, trying to raise funds, find an attorney I can understand and trying to get some sleep because of the time change. This is the first I've heard of a scam that induced someone to become a mule.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: He was arrested at the airport in Seoul on 9/3, I was called by the Embassy on 9/7. I doubt you can help me much, but this seems to be a new twist. My brother lives in Oregon and I was hoping there was an agency that works n these things. I can't find anything on the net and imagine the law has a lot to do with this.
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: Yes, I've written 25 firms in Seoul, couple of replies last night. This is quite the expensive proposition. From all I've read, you do not want to go the pro bono route,as statistically they obtain longer sentences for their clients. My brother is a senior citizen, no record, and addled in the head, or at least suffering from some kind of addition to pies in the sky.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: You mean there is something there to my rantings?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, there really are no firms that can assist with this in South Korea or in the US (for free), this is a bad situation and you need to work with the Embassy, especially pleading he has possible mental health issues, and you need to do what you can to spend the money on an attorney there. It is not something we can help with I am very sorry to say.