How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 948
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had guy working for me he got off probation and sold my

Customer Question

I had guy working for me he got off probation and sold my checkbook and forged my name on my checks is allowed to do that he said nobody can not do nothing want can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Your ex-employee is indeed guilty of a crime, and that crime is Forgery. Forgery (also known as "uttering a false instrument") is a serious offense, punishable as a felony in all 50 states and by the federal government. Forgery involves the making, altering, use, or possession of a false writing in order to commit a fraud.

The West Virginia legal code specifically states that:

"(a) If any person forge any writing, other than such as is mentioned in the first and third sections of this article, to the prejudice of another's right, or utter or attempt to employ as true such forged writing, knowing it to be forged, he shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, shall be confined in the penitentiary not less than one nor more than ten years, or, in the discretion of the court, be confined in jail not more than one year and be fined not exceeding five hundred dollars."

§61-4-5. Forging or uttering other writing; penalty; creation of unauthorized demand draft.

My recommendation is to take whatever evidence you have and go down to your local police station to file a report. The police should open an investigation and hopefully make an arrest of this individual, and your case should be brought to court.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. It's very important that you give me a positive rating for your deposit to be released and for me to be paid. (If you don’t, the site keeps your deposit). Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!