How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28002
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person has a bail jumping warrant misdemeanor for

Customer Question

If a person has a bail jumping warrant misdemeanor for failing to appear for criminal charge of driving drunk with kids in car out of Wisconsin court, can a sheriff take them into custody on the warrant if they happen to be present at the courthouse in Minnesota?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

If there is an active warrant for them, they could potentially hold the defendant in custody, until Wisconsin comes to get them. However, it is highly unlikely that the courthouse in Minnesota would know about this, as they are not checking everyone who walks into the court house, to see if they have any active warrants on them. The question is if how/why Minnesota would know about the warrant, out of Wisconsin, since a check is not typically done by the court, when a party appears

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I am involved in a case with these people in a civil child custody matter so I happen to go to the Wisconsin court site do a criminal search on the other side's live in girlfriend and there it was two open files with warrants and it has her Minnesota address listed it is definately her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the custody case is in Minnesota court
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you want to contact the authorities, you can and advise them of where this person will be, on a specific date and they can always contact local law enforcement and make arrangements, to take her into custody.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

You may also want to try and find out who the bondsman is, since their posted bail is at risk and I am sure they want her brought in as well

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.