How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 582
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am involve in a organized crimanal activities case. My

Customer Question

I am involve in a organized crimanal activities case. My bond was 10,000. Now I hired a lowyer.....they told me is a third degree felony. Is this bad? They are involving me for cashing fake checks....
Can a lawyer help me get at least a probation?
What are my chances?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few moments to prepare some information for you. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I do strongly recommend hiring a criminal defense attorney to represent you. An attorney will be able to argue on your behalf, and raise any possibly legal defenses you may have, as well as find any criminal procedural errors in the State's evidence that could lead to the evidence being thrown out. A defense attorney can also engage in plea negotiations with the Prosecutor to try to work out a favorable plea for you. Many times a Prosecutor in this type of case may even grant you immunity OR a very favorable plea in exchange for your testimony against others in the organized crime case.

Laws vary from state to state, but by and large a 3rd degree felony is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. How steep of a sentence you may be facing, or how favorable a plea you may be offered (probation etc.) really depends on the strength of the State's case against you. The more evidence and witnesses they have, the stronger their case will be, and the less likely it is that you may be offered probation or a plea that appeals to you.

Again, this all rests on the specific facts of your case and on what the Prosecutor is able to prove; all the more reason to hire a defense attorney to represent you, and to do so soon.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. It's very important that you give me a positive rating for your deposit to be released and for me to be paid. (If you don’t, the site keeps your deposit). Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!