How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3151
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a police officer and have been charged with obtaining

Customer Question

I am a police officer and have been charged with obtaining money under false pretenses, 49 counts, because I went home for 2 hours on those occasions. I have proof that I did "back-up" of other officers during the time I was home during my shift. The total amount of compensation involved is less than $5,000 and I am willing to pay back the money. The town has offered me a settlement of termination, loss of pension, loss of health insurance. Should I roll the dice and go to court.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. Are you represented by legal counsel? While the town may be willing to settle, how does this effect the criminal case? You shared that you were charged, so are there criminal proceedings or is this simply a civil matter?