CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I was charged with simple battery in a domestic dispute, no

Customer Question

I was charged with simple battery in a domestic dispute, no previous criminal history; can I represent myself? Should my husband (person assaulted) attend court or not? How probable is jail time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. Yes, you can represent yourself but for a charge like this, you can ask to be appointed the public defender as well, so you can have legal representation. Your husband will be required to appear, at trial or at any necessary hearing but it would be at his sole discretion, to appear, since he would be under court order. If he fails to appear and trial and they can not find him or locate him, then the case will likely be dismissed, since they do not have the victim present to testify against you. Depending on the facts and any injury, jail time is possible but as a first time offender, if the incident was minor in nature probation is more likely.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!