How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29979
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was walking past a group of people who were in the process

Customer Question

i was walking past a group of people who were in the process of getting a dui on a golf cart in a resort community. one of the members of that party started a fight with me as i was walking by and the police where seeing if they were dealing with a dui or not with the party on the golf cart. after this happened i was then charged with obstruction of buisness and have to appear in a mayors court. what can i do about this, what can happen to me if i appear in court without a lawyer, and what if i go to court can i still get a lawyer? I'm worried and want advice on how to handle this,
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

In court, the judge will explain the charges against you, and you have the ability to enter a plea. Most people at this stage plead not guilty and request a trial, because that buys time to get copies of all the evidence against them and to decide whether to try to negotiate a plea bargain. If you have a lawyer, they will almost always enter a plea of not guilty on your behalf at this hearing. . Obstruction of official business can be charged as either a second degree misdemeanor or a felony, depending on whether there was a risk of injury. Ohio Rev. Code, Section 2921.31. The judge will tell you which you're charged with, if it doesn't say on your paperwork.

If there is ANY possibility that the DA will ask for jail time, no matter how remote, you have a right to have a lawyer appointed if you cannot afford one. The judge will do that at the first hearing. You can also request a continuance to hire a lawyer if you can afford one but prefer to attend the first hearing without one. Usually, with a second degree misdemeanor, the district attorney will state on the record that they're not seeking jail time. Having that information will help you decide your next step.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?