How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27435
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wrote a bad check in 2008 in the state of Maryland and son

Customer Question

I wrote a bad check in 2008 in the state of Maryland and son after moved to NY. I just recently was notified of the arrest warrant when applying for a job. I did some research sheet calling multiple clerks office and received details. I was told by county police the only way to satisfy is to turn myself in. I've never been arrested let alone had any kind of criminal charges brought against me. I don't even remember writing this check. It was almost 10 years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Is there presently a court case pending against you, with a warrant for your failure to appear? Or is there just a warrant for your arrest in the state of Maryland?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a warrant for arrest to my knowledge. Never received formal paperwork with details
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You've been informed correctly, unfortunately. There is only one way to deal with a warrant and that is to turn yourself in. Otherwise, it will be out there against you and can raise its ugly head just like it did to potentially cost you a job.

If it's a misdemeanor charge, the place where you're at risk of an arrest is Maryland. If the warrant is discovered in other states, Maryland won't extradite you for a misdemeanor, so you'll just be warned that you ought to take care of the warrant. If it's a felony warrant, you are at risk of an arrest any and everywhere.

Warrants never expire. Yours will be out there against you for the rest of your life or until you come back into Maryland and deal with the criminal matter, whichever comes first.

When you do come back, you may have to face some time in jail. The best way to minimize that would be to get a lawyer involved. He or she can find out more about the situation, talk to the police and the prosecutor if it's been filed and broker a voluntary surrender which would make your processing time and time in the system as little as possible before you see the judge.

If this check was yours, a case like this after ten years should be easily resolvable. It may even be dismissible if the state no longer can find its witnesses after all of this time. If the check was never yours and that could be documented, this case could also be dropped against you.

But again, the only possible way to get rid of this warrant is to return to Maryland and surrender to the authorities.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.