How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 760
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the chances of an extradition if absconding on

Customer Question

What are the chances of an extradition if absconding on misdemeanor paperwork-Class A petty theft<$2500
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Wisconsin. Lets say someone got charged (first charge ever &only charge) for selling stolen jewelry and got sentenced to a year of probation (Class-A misdemeanor movable theft<$2500), but due to situations absconded to another state
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No, however, I'm trying to reopen the case and fight it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the offence happened at the age of 17, the person who was stolen from never pressed charges, however the Store did. When reguardless of the true accusations its illegal in the state of Wisconsin its illegal to sell jewelry to a jewelry store until the age of 18 and youre required to present an id if asked, which no ID was provided as well.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My recommendation is for this person to return to Wisconsin, turn themselves in to their probation officer, and address this with the Court as soon as possible. I'll explain why.

Right now they're in violation of their probation, and as such there will be a bench warrant out for their arrest. What that means is that if this person is stopped by police at any time, in any state, for any reason (even for a missing tail light or any other minor traffic infraction) once their ID is run by police officers, the warrant will show up and they'll be taken into custody.

The potential penalty for the violation of probation is exposure to the maximum penalty for the original crime they were charged with. Since this was a class A misdemeanor, the maximum possible penalty is a jail sentence of up to 9 months. The Judge can however do a variety of things besides assign the maximum penalty-- for example, he can reinstate probation, give a short jail sentence followed by probation, or followed by no probation, a fine, rehabilitative classes, or any combination of the above.

The sooner it's addressed with the court, the better, and turning himself in rather than having officers pick him up and extradite him back to Wisconsin, will look better to the Judge and be more favorable to his case.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!