How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26753
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have question in regards to someone getting caught with

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: i have question in regards ***** ***** getting caught with possession of narcotics at a music festival, with no prior record of drug related crimes or issues.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: califnornia specifically san bernadino county
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: no mam
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: isthis service free for advice i am cnfused
JA: The Criminal Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: how much would it be
JA: It's only $5.
Customer: oh okay yeah ill be ok with connecting to a lawyer
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

What is the question that you wish to ask about your situation?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have recently been caught with possession of narcotics at a music festival San Bernadino County in Southern California, do you know anything about the conviction rate for a first time offender with no criminal pass or drug related offenses, and being caught at a music festival
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.

You can expect to be prosecuted. If this is your first contact with the law and as your charge is a possessory only, the chances are extremely good that you will be offered one of California's diversion opportunities, whereby you can get some help for your drug use and work this charge off of your record by successfully completing your sentence requirements.

Whether you wish that sort of a disposition, or whether you have a case that you should fight will be for a lawyer to determine after he sees the court papers, confers with the prosecutor and sees some discovery. However, if you're asking whether typically someone in your situation can walk away without a conviction, the answer is yes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
does it matter if i handle the case in san berndanio or get it transferred to LA county .As i live in the san fernando valley in la county ,do you think handling the case in san bernadino will change anything or the options of opportunity for a diversion program will be the same
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

The court in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred is the one that has control over your case. You will not be able to transfer the case anywhere. You will appear in San Bernadino County.

Proposition 36 is statewide and would offer you a diversion option anywhere in California, and you appear to be eligible for it.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.