How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34975
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok, So I have a quick question. I am located in Tennessee,

Customer Question

Hi Ok, So I have a quick question.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am located in Tennessee, my charge was in Minnesota.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I provided alcohol to a minor accidentally in a casino in MN, i was not arrested, just brought in for a court date, i plead guilty and was issued a stay of adjudication, and i completed one year of unsupervised probation and the charge was dismissed. Basically, I applied for a new job and they are doing a background check and I don't really know whether to be up front about it or what to do. I wasn't convicted of a crime and the charge is dismissed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new job is in audio/video and I will be working in schools, they are looking for crimes against minors, but I don't know what to do since the charge was dismissed
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Philip.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question...are you asking how to request your criminal record (so you can see what it says)?

If not, what is the question you have regarding this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.. I want to know if I need to be up front with the company I have accepted a position with about this charge..
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Are they asking if you have been "convicted"? Or are they asking about "arrests"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Tennesee and they'll be doing a background check. I don't know what this charge is considered since I had a stay of adjudication and I completed the one year of unsupervised probation with flying colors. The charges have been dismissed
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I understand...a few mins and I will type up some thoughts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well actually it doesn't really ask. They just want to know if I have any charges against minors like abuse or anything like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a screenshot of what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind. I figured it out. I'm sorry. Thanks for taking the time to read this stuff
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience

What you are describing you went through the MN diversion program (also referred to as a stay of adjudication)

If you completed this program (no subsequent arrests in the state)? Then the court will have “dismissed” the charges. So you have no conviction.

HOWEVER…you will, most likely, have a record of the arrest. This will remain unless or until you have that record sealed (also referred to as expunged).

You would qualify for this process…but will need to hire an attorney in MN to pursue it.

I took a look at the screenshot…you DID enter a plea to get the diversion program. So that will be apparent to anyone who sees the record unless or until you have it sealed. So if they list they are referring to contains any crime similar to wha you pled to? I would disclose that until you get the record sealed

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.