Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I just want to remove my attorney from my case so that I can

Customer Question

I just want to remove my attorney from my case so that I can talk with the public defender
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: pa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes he said that the public defender in columbia county would represent me at my probation violation hearing even if my private attorney isnt removed from the paperwork, however the last time I was in columbia county prison bc of a bench warrant for failure to appear, I was told I couldnt talk with the public defender bc I already had legal counsel.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: my po told me to turnmyself in
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: its in Columbia County Pennsylvania. No warrant is showing and i called the sheriffs office and they said there wasnt a warrant for me violating my probation but my po said he would issue one last week if I didnt turn myself in
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: just that Im on probation in Columbia County for simple assault and that I was recently arrested in Philadelphia for possession of heroin and paraphernalia. My PO asked me to turn myself in (before my court date in philly) or he would issue a warrant. He said I would see the judge september 8th but I have not recieved any mail or paperwork from he court so Im guessing that is my probation violation hearing date. I have some issues with the private attorney I hired to fight the charges in columbia county that resulted in probation so I dont expect him to represent me or help me at all when I am brought before the judge. I want to make sure when I turn myself in that the public defender will represent me and I will be able to meet and talk with him or her before I see the judge. Last time, when I was in custody there for simple assault and awaiting trial, my private attorney didnt asnwer the phone or return my messages and they told me I couldnt speak with the public defender bc I already had legal counsel. I just want to make sure doesn't happen again so I guess I need to know how to remove this private attorney from my case
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Have you tried to call the public defender?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you try to talk to public defender in Columbia County they want you to fill out a form first. Its a form to see if you qualify for a public defender. There seems to be no other way

That is why I asked you. You have to fill out the form to see if you qualify for the Public Defender. It is based on income.

That is the only way they will speak with you.

If you qualify, a motion can be made in court to remove your private attorney and replace him with the public defender

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much is chatting like this costing me?

Nothing. You don't pay unless you are satisfied with my help. If you do rate me because you are satisfied you would pay $36

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the form for the public defender asks questions I dont know the answer to like: who is the judge, what are the charges. The form assumes I was just arrested and had no preliminary yet but isnt this a violation hearing

It should be the same judge who sentenced you. You should go back before the same judge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont I still have to remove my private attorney? How do I do that?

This is done when you go to court. There has to be a motion made either by your private attorney or by the public defender.

Let me know if you need more help with this. You can also reach out to me later if you have more questions.

If you are satisfied with my help, I ask that you rate me for my service.