How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son (19 years old) was arrested for public intoxication

Customer Question

My son (19 years old) was arrested for public intoxication and having a fake ID. What course of action do you recommend to best defend him and hopefully minimize his punishment? What are the potential fines?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Alabama
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: First offender, 3.4 GPA, Eagle Scout, did not resist the officer, walking home from a party
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

Alabama classifies public intoxication as a “violation.” Violations carry a maximum jail sentence of 30 days and fine of no more than $200. (Ala. Code §§ 13A-5-7, 13A-5-12, 13A-11-10) It is also illegal to use or attempt to use a fake driver’s license to obtain or attempt to obtain any kind of alcohol. Violators will be issued a fine ranging from $50 to $500 and face up to 3 months in jail. In addition, the Department of Public Safety will suspend the person’s driver’s license for 3 to 6 months and charge a reinstatement fee of $275. Most first-time offenders receive probation and are ordered to perform community service. Minors convicted of these charges can request “youthful offender status.” If the court grants the request, the conviction will not appear on the minor’s criminal record. So this is your best course of action along with retaining an attorney. Fortunately, for a first time offense, he will likely get no more than fines and community service and if granted “youthful offender status” (which is likely), it will not go on his permanent record.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number form 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for the time.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Just checking back, do you have any further questions?

Related Criminal Law Questions