Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I had my 2 degree thief as a acomplish, felony expunged in

Customer Question
Washington can I buy a...
I had my 2 degree thief as a acomplish, felony expunged in Washington can I buy a hunting rifle
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Washington state, I was 18 now I'm 34 got expunged 3 years ago. I pled guilty to this felony and got community service and 1 year of community supervision
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I wanted to buy rifle couple days ago, and told about not having gun rights after expunged
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No haven't had any run ins with the law since I was 18
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/28/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

A Superior Court will issue a court order restoring gun rights for an eligible person. These are the basic criteria: five years have elapsed since the date of the felony conviction, and there are no pending criminal charges or arrest warrants. And, of course, the person must not be prohibited from firearm possession due to some other factor unrelated to the old conviction, such as a mental-health commitment, or a court order that limits firearm rights, such as a protection order, restraining order, or no-contact order. In Washington, if an eligible person asks a Superior Court judge to restore firearm rights, the judge must grant the request. It’s mandatory. The judge cannot refuse the request just because the judge thinks the applicant is a bad actor. On the other side of the coin, the judge cannot grant the request of an ineligible person just because the person has a long list of accomplishments and a fistful of character references.

Expunging a felony is only the first step. You will also have to seek relief from firearm disability at both the State and Federal level. The easiest way for most people to file these petitions is to hire an attorney experienced in this type of work. Although there will be a cost to hire the attorney, most people will save a great deal of time and frustration trying to figure out the court system and the paperwork.

There are a number of steps involved in successfully petitioning to have these rights restored. These include: Filing the petition in the proper county Superior Court; Serving copies of your petition on all necessary parties; Documenting all necessary information to show that you meet the legal requirements for getting your rights restored; Scheduling hearings with a judge & filing a note for motion; Attending the scheduled court hearing; Drafting & filing a proposed order restoring firearm rights for the judge to sign; Filing a copy of the judge's signed order with the appropriate law enforcement agencies to ensure you clear future background checks; Other steps as needed.

The courts in Washington take varying times to process these types of cases, depending on many factors including how busy the court is in a particular county. You can anticipate that your case may take 3 to 6 months or longer. Every case is different. If more time has passed since your release we may be able to show how well you have been doing and that you can be a positive member of society, and this information would help your case.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer