How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my 2 degree thief as a acomplish, felony expunged in

Customer Question

I had my 2 degree thief as a acomplish, felony expunged in Washington can I buy a hunting rifle
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Washington state, I was 18 now I'm 34 got expunged 3 years ago. I pled guilty to this felony and got community service and 1 year of community supervision
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I wanted to buy rifle couple days ago, and told about not having gun rights after expunged
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No haven't had any run ins with the law since I was 18
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. Thank you for your question and for using

A Superior Court will issue a court order restoring gun rights for an eligible person. These are the basic criteria: five years have elapsed since the date of the felony conviction, and there are no pending criminal charges or arrest warrants. And, of course, the person must not be prohibited from firearm possession due to some other factor unrelated to the old conviction, such as a mental-health commitment, or a court order that limits firearm rights, such as a protection order, restraining order, or no-contact order. In Washington, if an eligible person asks a Superior Court judge to restore firearm rights, the judge must grant the request. It’s mandatory. The judge cannot refuse the request just because the judge thinks the applicant is a bad actor. On the other side of the coin, the judge cannot grant the request of an ineligible person just because the person has a long list of accomplishments and a fistful of character references.

Expunging a felony is only the first step. You will also have to seek relief from firearm disability at both the State and Federal level. The easiest way for most people to file these petitions is to hire an attorney experienced in this type of work. Although there will be a cost to hire the attorney, most people will save a great deal of time and frustration trying to figure out the court system and the paperwork.

There are a number of steps involved in successfully petitioning to have these rights restored. These include: Filing the petition in the proper county Superior Court; Serving copies of your petition on all necessary parties; Documenting all necessary information to show that you meet the legal requirements for getting your rights restored; Scheduling hearings with a judge & filing a note for motion; Attending the scheduled court hearing; Drafting & filing a proposed order restoring firearm rights for the judge to sign; Filing a copy of the judge's signed order with the appropriate law enforcement agencies to ensure you clear future background checks; Other steps as needed.

The courts in Washington take varying times to process these types of cases, depending on many factors including how busy the court is in a particular county. You can anticipate that your case may take 3 to 6 months or longer. Every case is different. If more time has passed since your release we may be able to show how well you have been doing and that you can be a positive member of society, and this information would help your case.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?