How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1081
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to overturn a felony I got while wad in the psyche

Customer Question

I need to overturn a felony I got while wad in the psyche ward. I'm indigent and disabled. It's a felony possession of less than a gram.
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: It's in Harris County Texas. I got pulled over and gave the cops my friend's drugs because she kept doing them outside by my car.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes she can do it for 5 grand and I can't come up with that kind of money. But yes ma'am it fan be done.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: She told me to bring her my medical records that show why I missed my court date and pay her the 5000.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have money tied up in an estate that is dispersed 200 at a time for living expenses. If you can convince Karen Blom Strom that this is a necessity you can get paid. She won't listen to me. I don't think I'm phrasing it right.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you cannot afford an attorney, you need to go to the local public defender's office with your proof and your medical records, since in a criminal matter they have to provide you representation and if they do not they will send you to legal aid to file to vacate the conviction. In most cases though, the public defender will take the case and if your evidence supports what you are saying above they will file a motion to vacate/set aside conviction and present your evidence to the court.
The public defender must represent you on criminal cases if you prove you cannot afford an attorney.
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Miami Prosecutor. Please note we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship, but I believe I can help you with your question for informational purposes only.

What the first attorney said is correct, you should apply for help from the Public Defender's office. However, sometimes these requests are denied for a variety of reasons. In the event that happens, you need to request a list of the Pro Bono attorneys who have given their names to the Court and volunteered to help clients such as yourself. The Legal Aid office generally will not help with cases like yours; but the list of Pro Bono attorneys includes competent, experienced attorneys that are willing and able to work on your behalf.

Best of luck to you! I hope this was helpful!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, just wanted to make sure you don't have any follow-up questions from our earlier conversation? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating using the stars, this does not come at any additional cost to you, it's just the way attorneys are compensated for their time here on 'just answer'. And you are still able to ask me any additional questions and receive answers from me for free even after you rate me. Thank you!