How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is this a paid service? california, yes. i've gone through

Customer Question

is this a paid service?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: yes. i've gone through informal probabtion and had charges dismissed, but it is not like expunging and will always show on doj fingerprint check
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm finding that this is affecting my job search. incidents were due to alcohol abuse at the time. fortunately, my daughter was not harmed.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, California will not remove this sort of a dismissal from your record. The only way California ever will remove an arrest record is via 851.8 PC, which requires that you have never been convicted. So, unfortunately, the dismissal is going to have to stand.

On the other hand, a dismissal is not a conviction and California is one of a minority of states that only looks back 7 years on an employment check. So eventually, you should be able to rise above your record.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was 14 years ago. my problem is that certain jobs require fingerprinting and the doj does not erase the record for anytime you have been arrested and fingerprinted
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there are no further provisions in California law to seal an arrest record. I'd love to be able to tell you what you want to hear, but with a dismissed conviction, PC 851.8 is closed to you, and there is nothing you can do.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.