Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I just have a question my husband has received a suspension

Customer Question

I just have a question my husband has received a suspension that is indefinitel until a court case is resolved. He worked for the state of New Jersey and was involved with police brutality. Because it is in his handbook that if he is involved with any indictment he would be suspended until proven innocent. Can he collect unemployment?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My husband has a lawyer. Civil and criminal because the police beat him up. This is a man at a job for 14,years with no criminal record
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No not at all the video evidence just came back he is innocent but he has to wait for the hearing
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?

Yes. Give me a few minutes. I am researching the law.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

There was a recent NJ Appeals court decision which stated that a police officer charged with a crime is entitled to Unemployment insurance benefits. I am looking for the actual law.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he was not the police officer he works for the state. The police did this crime to him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband works for the state of NJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there ma'am?

Here is the decision I mentioned. It was decided by the NJ Appellate Division in June 2016: http://law.justia.com/cases/new-jersey/appellate-division-unpublished/2016/a3979-14.html

Your husband can apply for unemployment insurance. If the Dept of Labor does not prove sufficient evidence that he engaged in gross misconduct, he is entitled to benefits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate this

Good luck.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely

Best wishes