How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 927
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the procedure to get a public defender for someone

Customer Question

What is the procedure to get a public defender for someone already in prison.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I haven't
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He has service going on 9 years already and his health is very bad and the prison system refuses to get him help. He needs both knees replaced or he will be in a wheel chair
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
By continuing, you acknowledge that I am not providing legal advice and can only comment on the law in general.

Are you asking whether it's possible to appoint this person a public defender for issues unrelated to his case? Like to solve something going on with his medical treatment?



Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and a former Prosecutor, I believe I can help you answer your questions here. He should be able to get a Public Defender appointed to him, he can request the paper work from the staff in prison for requesting an attorney. In some cases, for a variety of reasons, the request can be denied by the court.

In that event, the court usually has a list of attorneys in your area who have signed up to volunteer their services pro bono (for free). Your friend, or yourself, can request the list and contact any of the attorneys. I'm sure they will be more than willing to help him, especially given the fact that he has some medical concerns. I hope that was helpful, good luck!

(Also please remember to rate me using the stars, otherwise I will not be compensated for my effort, even though you've paid a fee to just answer. You are still able to post questions to me and receive answers, even after you have rated me. Thank you!)

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, just wanted to make sure you don't have any follow-up questions from our earlier conversation? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating using the stars, this does not come at any additional cost to you, it's just the way attorneys are compensated for their time here on 'just answer'. And you are still able to ask me any additional questions and receive answers from me for free even after you rate me. Thank you!