How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to get off probation. i am pregnant and have

Customer Question

I am trying to get off probation. i am pregnant and have served 6 months of a 1 year term. i have paid all of my restitution. they took away my early release because i got incarcerated for two weeks in July 2016. can i still get off
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You can attempt to ask the Court to be released early, but it would be up to the Judge. What someone in your situation wants to do is to file a Motion for Early Termination of Probation with the criminal court overseeing the probation.

Under New Mexico Statutes 31-21-21, the Judge has discretion to release someone early. The Judge will normally want you to have paid off all fines, taken all classes, and served at least 2/3 of the term. But the factors are subjective. You also should not have had any issues with the probation. The Judge may or may give you extra leeway due to pregnancy if someone in your situation can show how the probation is making it difficult on you and/or endangering the pregnancy.

An attorney is not mandatory, but is highly recommended.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.