How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Kal Your Own Question
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 584
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Kal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been accused of something and the police won't tell

Customer Question

I have been accused of something and the police won't tell me and are just asking questions. What is my best course of action?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The accusation maybe involving assist or a sexual assault
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

When the police are in the process of investigating a crime, they are not required, by law, to disclose any information regarding the specifics to anyone, including those who may be under investigation for the crime. However, police may be more willing to discuss certain portions of the investigation (i.e., what purpose a suspect is be questioned, etc) if a suspect's attorney contacts law enforcement and requests the information.

When it comes to speaking to law enforcement in regard to a crime (or possible crime), generally the most important question to determine is if the individual police want to speak to is a suspect or not (which it appears here that, since there are "accusations," you may be a suspect). This makes the decision of retaining an attorney to represent you even more important.

If the individual is a suspect, it is generally always more prudent to a) speak to the person's attorney first and b) if the individual does choose to speak to law enforcement, make sure that the individual's attorney is present during questioning.

The reason for this is that police generally want to know if a "crime" has occurred. Once they determine that (which is usually done by simply speaking to the "victim"), the police go into evidence collection mode and try to obtain as much evidence against the alleged suspect as possible. The surest and most simple way to do this would be to speak to the suspect directly. This is because whatever a suspect says to law enforcement can be used against the person later on in a criminal proceeding.

Police generally like to ease a suspect's concern by stating they want "their side" or version of the events and that is it. However, once questioning begins and the police know (or already knew) that the suspect is most likely the individual who committed the offense, they then try to obtain said incriminating evidence. This is where an attorney comes in handy. An attorney is experienced in police tactics and know the elements of the offense for which charges are probable (meaning the attorney can interject when police ask a question that could nail the case against the suspect).

Questions based on this? If so, please ask.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time to provide general information regarding questions until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated!

Thank you!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.

I see you have read my response. If you have questions based on this, please ask.

If not, please remember that experts here provide general information and assist individuals not as a hobby, but as their source of income. With this in mind, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate the assistance provided as that is the only way experts can be credited for assisting individuals.

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.


It has been some time since the response to your question.

Please remember that (if you have no follow-up questions you would like me to answer), that experts here are credited ONLY when the individual clicks accepts and rates the assistance with three stars or higher.

I’d appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.

Any chance for a positive rating? I'd appreciate it! Thanks again.