Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son is in prison and he called me about an Arizona

Customer Question
My son is in prison...
My son is in prison and he called me about an Arizona revised statute 13-3821 - 13-3829 This was updated and put into law on August 6 2016 could you please tell me what things have been changed. from the original law? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/17/2016
Criminal Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

Could you clarify?

What is the original law?

What is the new law?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my son is in prison sex off the original law they have 3 catagories 12 @3 my son is 1 he does not have to notify people he is a sex offender.....the new law states that he and other people are all 3 with changes his cat. and has to notify that he is a sex offender please let me no what other changes have been made....

Thank you for the information. However, I am unable to assist you without knowing the citation for the old law that you are referencing.

Thank you for your cooperation

Criminal Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

In 2016 there are two new AZ laws regarding sex offenders:

HB 2488 states that an individual convicted of sexual assault has no parental rights to any child that may be the result of that assault.

HB 2539 allows an individual convicted of sexual conduct with a minor to ask the court to terminate his or her duty to register as a sex offender under the following circumstances: if the offender completed probation, the offender was under age 22 at the time of the offense, the victim was age 15 or older, the conduct was consensual, there was not more than one victim, the court has not determined there is reason to believe the defendant is sexually violent, and the defendant was not sentenced to prison.

Since your son was sentenced to prison, it does not appear that he will be able to take advantage of this new law. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are wanting a professional and honest answer.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer