Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A firearm of mine was seized from the premises of a class 3

Customer Question
dealer. The firearm was...
A firearm of mine was seized from the premises of a class 3 dealer. The firearm was turned over to BATFE by local police. Employees of the dealer tried to circumvent legal procedures in the handling of the firearm, anticipating that they could make a profit by selling it illegally. Charges against these employees were dropped, but BATFE chose to to pursue civil forfeiture against my firearm. No charges were filed against me and no allegations were made that I did anything wrong. All occurred in Texas.
I wish to contest the forfeiture.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/17/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question about the situation you have described in your post that I can answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is my best course now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where can I find a
Lawyer who is experienced in these matters.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights / legal options that might potentially apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me or can provide you with list of online resources to find an experienced civil forfeiture law attorney in your area?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thanks. You have not provided me any useful information and only tried to hit me for more money.
Criminal Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
N Cal Attorney

New Expert here.

Where and when did this happen?

Were you given any paperwork relating to this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forearm was seized in April in Amarillo, TX, a notice was received yesterday that BATFE was going to steal the firearm.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Firearm.......

"In a federal administrative forfeiture action, the claimant must file what is known as a claim of ownership, and must do so thirty (30) days after receiving notice in the mail that the government has seized the asset(s).

The claim must identify the specific property claimed and state the claimant’s interest in the property.

The claim must be made under oath by the claimant (not counsel) under penalty of perjury consistent with 28 U.S.C. § 1746."

from http://www.foslaw.com/news-views/dont-forfeit-your-right-to-challenge-federal-forfeitures/

You can get a free consultation from some of the federal law attorneys listed here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney who can help you draft the claim and litigate it if necessary.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer