How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have been charged with a violation in the state of Montana

Customer Question

have been charged with a violation in the state of Montana for hunting without the proper hunting license
they have confiscated the deer head I had mounted back in 2004 the infraction happen then and they just came to my house and I admitted to having shot the deer without the proper hunting license.
I asked about the statue of limitation and was told it is three years for Montana residents but no restriction for non residents I wanted to find out if that is accurate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

No, this is not accurate, furthermore, the invasion of your home (if they did so without a warrant), and the taking of the deer head, may constitute an unconstitutional search and seizure (this gets a little more complicated, but it is an issue you will want to explore with a local attorney).

Be very aware - the fish and game wardens do not represent you or your best interests, things that you say to them can be used against you. You are best served by speaking promptly to a local criminal defense attorney (local to the jurisdiction where the matter is being considered for prosecution - so the Montana County where the hunting occurred).

While it is possible that you may not recover the deer head - a good criminal defense attorney should be able to get the remainder of this matter dismissed, but don't underestimate the vigor with which these wardens will prosecute or pursue cases - and please promptly seek local counsel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Obviously you are not familiar with the laws of Montana I appreciate your comment about their intentions and know they want to raise as much revenue as they can since it goes to fund their department I will need to Vaal an attorney in Montana who is familiar with this matter
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, I am going to "opt out" and allow another expert to follow up with you. Please do not post any further at this time as it will delay the next expert's ability to follow up. If you need any assistance in the meantime, please contact our customer service at: Thank you for using our forum, and I do wish you the best of luck. Bill