How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Texas- My 19yr old son has violated his probation and given

Customer Question

Texas- My 19yr old son has violated his probation and given a new drug charge. Refuses probation. Do I need to hire an attorney or let him get what the judge gives? He is in county jail at the moment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Mendy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I empathize with your situation and the conflicting emotions that you are probably feeling. I was in your position a 15 years ago. It is a difficult choice to make that you have.

Your son clearly has not learned from his past mistakes and needs more than your support and a lawyer that you pay for. Given that he has violated probation, an attorney will almost certainly not keep him out of jail---because he will probably be violated on his probation and be jailed anyway. As for the new violation, all that will do is to increase the time he will be incarcerated.

Your son is an adult now, and presuming that he cannot afford an attorney on his own, then you should consider doing nothing aside from providing moral support. Money spent by you on a private attorney at this point---presuming that your son is, in fact, guilty of the latest charge---is likely money needlessly spent. The court will appoint an attorney for him when he is entitled to one, so with a probation violation for the same or similar offense, a private attorney is not likely going to get much more, if any, of better deal from the prosecutor or from a jury. I am sorry, but this new violation will tell the judge that your son needs more than just probation. I just don't think that a private attorney will be worth the difference (again presuming that the arrest was legitimate).

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,