Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In Tennessee, can you cite any criminal cases where a

Customer Question
gated(pay) parking lot that is...
In Tennessee, can you cite any criminal cases where a gated(pay) parking lot that is vacant of vehicles is not considered a place "readily accessible to the public" as in for DUI statues?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/12/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

I will check for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I would like any actual court cases to research independently if at all possible.

OK

Here is one about a private parking lot...not gated. I am still looking.

This is an important case to understand the court analysis for "readily accessible to the public at large".

State v. Dobbins, 265 S.W.3d 419 (Tenn. Crim. App. 2007)

Here is a case where the defendant was under the influence and found sitting in a car parked in a private driveway: http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7422&context=utk_lawopinions

I cannot find any cases regarding a gated parking lot. I do think the private driveway case would be the most helpful to you. Please let me know if you have more questions. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.

Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady