How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118772
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok my problem is complicated I need help, I have been

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: ok my problem is complicated I need help
JA: In what state did this occur? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: I have been married to the man in texas i live in a diff state this marriage was done in a islamic way so its not registered in the system and I can't leave until he gives me my papers of divorce written papers which they don't give now and say prove it ur married and have been telling other people to msg and say we are harassing them
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, what?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not yet
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so now I ask them for a legal document for the marriage I was married to him when I was 18. They refuse to give anything now they say u can now leave or move here if ur parents agree or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the pint is the person who read this marriage I have his number I tried contacting him didn't get a reply from him. Is there any way I can register this marriage or any way I can get my written papers. They have been harassing me and my family by abusing he has abused me for a couple of years now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when we reply to his msgs or contact them they say u may leave and u are harassing us we will report while they weren't reported all these years for everything they have done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do? I have been through mental abuse for to many years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he says very abusive stuff like abusive language and says why don't you die I left you and I haven't left you and all that sort of things according to their times. They have done way to much over the past few years they have abused me in every way possible. And now when the same is done to them they have been telling people we are harassing them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he msgs me on fb when he wants to talks when he wants to and gets abusive when he wants to. He has also sent out various msgs to my family who are not even related to this in any way and have abused me have hurt my reputation.
He use to msg people from my number and he use to port out my number I let it go just because I was married to him. But now its been to much after all this they got worse with their blackmail torture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plz I want this to be confidential and not to be posted anywhere
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Several US courts, including at least one court in Virginia in particular, have held that Islamic marriages without license or ceremony are contrary to the US laws and contrary to public policy, so many US courts will not recognize the marriage itself as a civilly legal marriage, even though religiously it is a valid marriage under Muslim rules.
So, according to US laws, if the marriage is contrary to public policy, it is void and does not exist under US laws, especially if the woman was sold into marriage or placed into marriage without their consent in accordance with the Muslim or Islamic laws. What the courts have upheld, in accordance with US Contract laws are any mahr entered into.
Unfortunately, what this means to you in the US that is if you wish to marry under US law with a marriage license or you wish to claim he is not your legal husband in the US you can do so, but if you ever plan on returning to your country or anywhere under Islamic law recognizing that type of marriage you would have a problem
There is no other way to dissolve this other than returning to your country to fight there for the dissolution from him.
You can also go to court and get a court restraining order against him for harassment and have him ordered to stop contacting you. This you would have to file for in the state where he lives and could do so with a local attorney there.