How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3152
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex girlfriend has posted a private text message that I

Customer Question

My ex girlfriend has posted a private text message that I sent her. She has posted it on instagram. I said some pretty hurtful things. She had cheated on me and I was upset. I wanted to tell her off because I felt betrayed. It was only meant for her to read. It was a long message, yet she posted the part where, taken out of context to the whole conversation I seem horrible. She has purposely posted this to humiliate me in front my friends, her friends, my colleagues, her colleagues ,both of our families, the world. Do I have any legal ground?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 1 year ago.


I'm afraid you have no legal grounds to pursue any type action against your ex-girlfriend. If she had said something about you which was not factually true, you might have a claim of defamation. But she is merely posting your own words to other people. There are no grounds to sue somebody for for using your own words. In terms of the "private" nature of the text, there really is no such thing as a "private" text message or any other communication. Once you send someone a communication, that person is free to share the communication with other unless that person signed some sort of non-disclosure agreement. So, I'm afraid you are stuck, and there is no legal recourse you could pursue.

Sorry if this is not the information you wanted to hear.


Related Criminal Law Questions