How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13651
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pleaded guilty to a crime I did not commit. I not knowing

Customer Question

I pleaded guilty to a crime I did not commit. I not knowing the consequences of having a felony conviction, had had my life a caring physician who has saves many lives and helped untold thousands of people can no longer to critical care and medicine.
I was stupid. I in fact was not guilty of the charges that were made against me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear what happened. You definitely should have been told the significance of pleading guilty and the impact it would have so that you could make an informed decision. You don't say how long ago this was, but normally, you only have a very, very short period of time to file a motion to set aside a guilty plea -state laws vary but it's typically between 30-60 days. That doesn't mean a court will accept it (it's very difficult to set aside a plea once entered) just how long you have. The same is true of trying to appeal a finding of guilty. After that, the decision is considered final and binding.

I realize this isn't what you wanted to hear, and I am sorry, but I can only tell you the law. At this point, you may wish to look into filing a pardon based on innocence.

Though Alabama does not offer an expungement process to its rehabilitated offenders, you may have another option for a better life through a pardon by the Board of Pardons and Paroles. A pardon does not offer the same benefit as an expungement, which essentially makes your criminal record nonexistent except for in specific circumstances, but it does offer the chance to prove your rehabilitation as well as get some of your rights back.

Obtaining a pardon requires an application, generally involving a statement from you and others showing your rehabilitation, and a subsequent hearing with the board. If you are granted a pardon, you may regain certain rights – like the right to vote or hold public office.

Once a request is received, it will be assigned to a probation officer for the completion of an investigation. The investigation will include current information on the your home situation, job status, and an updated criminal arrest record, written references and other information as warranted. Once the investigation is complete, a hearing will be set before the Parole Board. Required notification will be sent to the victim, certain officials in the jurisdiction of the conviction, and you. Once all required parties are notified, a hearing will be held before the Parole Board and a decision will be made to grant or deny the pardon request.

A request for a pardon can be made by writing the Board of Pardons and Paroles at P O Box 302405, Montgomery AL###-##-#### The request should include all of the following information:

  • Name under which convicted
  • True Name
  • Sex and race
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security Number
  • AIS# (Alabama Prison number), if you have one
  • Current physical address including county
  • Current mailing address, if different
  • Indicate if the conviction was a State or Federal Conviction
  • Home telephone number
  • Work telephone number, if you have one
  • Complete list of charges, county(s) of conviction and year(s) of conviction.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or additional information I could provide you about your legal question today?

Related Criminal Law Questions