How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my boyfriend were moving into our new apartment and

Customer Question

Me and my boyfriend were moving into our new apartment and were trying to get a money order from a gas station, the cashier found out that one of the hundred dollar bills was counterfeit.(we didnt know it was as the money was given to us by his grandfather) The police blocked us in, took the counterfeit, and wanted to search the vehicle, which it was my mothers vehicle. They found paraphenalia and weed and it was my boyfriends, but they gave me and my boyfriend a misdemeanor for possession and for the paraphenalia. The weed and pipe was not mine. My boyfriend got arrested and taken away to a maximum security prison and has the same charges i have. I didnt get arrested. He also had warrants but did not know he had seven. He only knew of two of them. They said another jail also wants him for the warrants, but when i looked up the jail to see what warrants they wanted him for, there were none. The only person with the same last name and discription as him was on there. And the guy had no mugshot and had a sexual offence warrant. Is there any way they might be confused and adding this other guys warrants to my boyfriend? What do i do after this? How do i go about getting him out of jail? He and i have the same court date.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

On the court date, your boyfriend and you will be arraigned by being read the charges. Also, a bail hearing will be held for your boyfriend for the current charges. Also, he will be returned on the warrants in that court and a bail hearing will be held. The court may continue to hold your boyfriend in jail to be returned to the other court that wants him on the warrants. You may have to wait until he goes to the other jail to see if they will allow bail.

Your boyfriend and you really need attorneys to handle this for you for the following reasons: (I will send in a few minutes)

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
  • An attorney will want to challenge the search of the car. The police should have had a search warrant.
  • If your boyfriend is not the person wanted for the sexual offense, an attorney will be able to handle this.

You didn't mention the counterfeit bill. Were you charged for this? If you were not charged, I don't understand why the police would search your car.

Will you need information on finding an attorney in your area? If so, I can help you with a resource in your county to find attorneys. You and your boyfriend will need different attorneys. Please let me know if you need help with this. I need to know the county you live in to help you with this.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can help you more with this. I am happy to answer more of your questions. If you have no more questions and are satisfied with my help, please rate my service.

Related Criminal Law Questions