Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

How to end parole in Iowa with fines paid and after alj

Customer Question

How to end parole in Iowa with fines paid and after alj released me from jail to meet with parole officer with an option for parole officer to change disposition.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Iowa law gives judges the authority to release defendants from probation early. If you have paid off your fines and completed at least half of your probation and complete all court ordered classes and treatment then you might be eligible.

Iowa Criminal Code Section 907.9 Discharge from Probation:

1. At any time that the court determines that the purposes of probation have been fulfilled and the fees imposed under section 905.14 have been paid or on condition that unpaid supervision fees be paid, the court may order the discharge of a person from probation.

2. At any time that a probation officer determines that the purposes of probation have been fulfilled and the fees imposed under section 905.14 have been paid or on condition that unpaid supervision fees be paid, the officer may order the discharge of a person from probation after approval of the district director and notification of the sentencing court and the county attorney who prosecuted the case.

3. The sentencing judge may order a hearing on its own motion, or shall order a hearing upon the request of the county attorney, for review of such discharge. If the sentencing judge is no longer serving or unable to order such hearing, the chief judge of the district or the chief judge's designee shall order any hearing pursuant to this section. Following the hearing, the court shall approve or rescind such discharge. If a hearing is not ordered within thirty days after notification by the probation officer, the person shall be discharged and the probation officer shall notify the state court administrator of such discharge.

I would recommend that you retain an attorney and have him/her file a motion to terminate probation. If you meet all of these requirements, then you will have a good chance to terminate your probation early. I would also schedule a meeting with your probation officer to discuss your desire to get off probation early. Courts tend to defer to the judgment of a probation officer in regard to an early release. If your officer agrees with your request for an early end to your probation, the judge is likely to concur.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?