Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My boyfriend is currently in Delano serving time for his

Customer Question
case in Merced CA. but...
My boyfriend is currently in Delano serving time for his case in Merced CA. but awhile back he caught a burglary case in 2015 in Fresno CA. and he had gotten arrested again in Merced after that when he got out about 2 weeks later they took him to Fresno where he stood for a day I believe then was released someone had said if he was booked for it then released that they can't arrest him again for it. I dont buy into that but my boyfriend and I would like to know who to call for the details of his case we don't want any surprises when he gets released in about 3months and then Fresno comes and takes him.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: California and im not sure exactly but I know around june or July last year. It was on TV too
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No that's what I'm wondering who to call to see if he was assigned a public defender or what we have no idea where to start.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that it was a burglary on a house that was tented up for bug infestation and he had an accomplice I forgot his name but Robert my boyfriend was hospitalized for inhaling the poison and his friend was hospitalized for a police dog bite ans poison inhalation as well if that helps at all.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/3/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's situation.

If he went before the judge after the booking before he was released, then he should have entered a not guilty plea and requested a trial. The judge could have appointed a lawyer for him at that point. Call the clerk of the criminal court in Fresno to see if they have a pending case with your boyfriend's name on it. They can tell you if he was arraigned, if a lawyer was appointed (and if so, who), and should be able to tell you whether there's another court date scheduled. Court documents are public record. If he has a trial in Fresno before he's released from Merced, the sheriff can transport him to the courthouse - but he needs to know that. It's possible that someone at the public defender's office could talk to him if no lawyer was appointed, but they may want to wait until he's released so they can go to court together and request an appointment.

You can also ask what records, if any, they show for the alleged accomplice. Just to see if that case is still ongoing. If the courthouse has no record at all, try calling the Fresno police department to see if they have a record of a warrant in your boyfriend's name.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer