Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience
16823287

Can someone help me verify is pictures I received of legal

Customer Question

Can someone help me verify is pictures I received of legal documents?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you can attach the pictures, I will take a look, sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything specific is these documents that would make you think it is real or fake?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to look this over, please.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

I would say this is authentic. The paperwork looks legitimate. The Court is court, the federal statutes cited are correct and actually part of the federal code. The attorney's name check's out, he is a licensed attorney in Maryland.

Do you have a reason to suspect that it may be fake (e.g., you have no idea what criminal matter they are talking about)?

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Once satisfied with the answer, please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the police report?My friend received this from a lawyer she is dating. He said that he got them "illegally" from a source and that this was part of an ongoing investigation that my friend was involved in. Is that possible?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay. I stepped away briefly to eat some dinner.

The police report looks like an official one as well. One thing that I did notice though is that it says "Copy to state attorney's office" -but the state attorney's office handles state crimes, not federal crimes. And the search warrant lists federal charges.

A police report is public record -so if a person knows or suspects there is a police report from an agency, they can get one from the investigating agency by paying a small copy fee. A search warrant becomes public record once made part of a court file, but this warrant isn't dated or signed by a judge, so it's not part of any court record -or wasn't at the time. So, I'm not sure how he got this -he would have to know someone working on the case would by my assumption.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Does that mean your friend is part of an investigation? There may very well be things in the works where the government is taking steps to build a case against your friend alleging that they are an accessory to a crime and are waiting until they have more information to present that warrant to a judge for a signature. I don't know how old that warrant is (the 20-7-16 suggests a date, but I can't be positive of that). Once a warrant is signed the police aren't going to sit on it, they're going to execute it ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The guy my friend is dating said that the police report was sent to the state first, but since a lot of the stuff was done using the internet, it went to the federal prosecutor. Would that be possible? If it is an ongoing investigation, do the police have to tell you about it?Can these documents be faked?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

That is possible that the state would turn over the matter, yes, where it's not necessarily a state crime or they feel it would be better in federal court.

Police do not have to inform you of an investigation if you are a suspect. You can imagine that if they had that obligation, many people would simply flee the state to avoid possible arrest.

Sure, legal documents can be faked (I actually had a client attempt it when I was clerking for someone in law school) but these look authentic. The court is correct, the format is correct, the attorney is actually legitimate, the federal codes cited are correct. If someone is faking it, they've got knowledge of the law and enough of it to know how to draft the document to look real. I would expect someone trying to fake it to get the court wrong, or format wrong, or cite improper code sections, misspell things, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the stamps. Is there a way to fake those?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

You can get a company to make a stamp, but again, when taken as a whole with everything else, I don't see someone going through all the trouble just to fake this.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Since you insist on closing all of the questions I previously helped you with instead of rating (and have a pattern of doing this to all of the experts on this site) I am opting out of your question.

I have reported your account to customer service for abuse of the system for repeatedly getting questions answered without paying.

Good day.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.