Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am looking at food stamp fraud of 300,000 or less i do…

I am looking at food...
I am looking at food stamp fraud of 300,000 or less i do have a back round but havent been in trouble for over 9 yrs this is my first time with food stamp fraud. Will i go to jail behide it??
8/3/2016
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

What were your prior convictions? Misdemeanors or felonies? Were you released on your own recognizance or are you out on bail?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are both, im 34 but i have'nt been locked up yet . They just came to me today asking questions but he said when they have a warrart or so he will call me

Although prison is possible under the statute, the last thing the government would most want to do would be to pay for your room and board if you've already taken $300,000 or less of money from them that you're not entitled to. The standard offer for this offense is probation with restitution to the government. It is in the government's interest to keep you working so that you can pay off your overpayment.

I cannot promise you that you will avoid jail altogether. But the fact is that while you're incarcerated you don't get much of an opportunity to pay off your debt.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, because i do have a job and 4 kids and this is old, but new . Just worried and trying to see how long the process will be before i get a warrant because i know they will be back.

This is a non-violent offense, and the police in South CArolina can take all the time in the world to get the warrant and bring you in. There are no criminal statutes of limitations in your state. That said, it doesn't take all that long to get a warrant, and it doesn't make sense for them to wait too long, even though they can.

I would estimate that they'll be back within 2-3 weeks. Don't give them any information about the fraud when they do. Anything you say to anyone else but your lawyer can be used against you, and you don't get a gold star for assisting the police in your own prosecution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, thank they just said they been looking into it for a year thats all.

Interesting. Sounds like they are not entirely sure whether you committed an intentional fraud, so more than ever, do not talk to the police about these benefits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks you helped me alot.

You're very welcome.

Please take the time to rate my service to you before leaving the site, as that's the only way that i can get credit for my work.

Zoey_ JD