Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was recently charged with 716.130 concealed weapon -

Customer Question
Hello, I was recently...

Hello, I was recently charged with 716.130 concealed weapon - prohibited while at the StL airport. I forgot to put my pocket-knife into my checked bag. The blade was less than 2" long. I have a MO conceal & carry license. as I read the law I should not have been issued a summons? what is my best course of action for the offense?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any official paperwork been filed?

Saint Louis airport. Saint Louis, MO I was written a summons.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?

I was told by the TSA that normally they would just throw the knife into the garbage, but they said mine was spring loaded and therefore illegal. I had no idea, i've carried that pocket knife for years as I'd received it as a gift. simply forgot to into check bag. obviously I am not a criminal as I was granted a CCW license

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2016
Criminal Lawyer: attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am looking for answers not other memberships or charges. Please reapond to my original question.

TSA is correct. The spring loaded factor makes all the difference in the world. I am sure that you would have left the knife behind if you realized it would be an issue. The difference at the airport is that Federal jurisdiction is in place and the usual state rights are not applicable.

I am not generating membership charges and I am working on your question. The attorneys have nothing to do with billing and you should let customer service know that you don't want to be bothered and allow me the time to provide an answer for you.

US/Canada

1.***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long do I wait for an answer? I have paid an initial fee. There will not be any further charges - correct?

Again the attorneys have nothing to with billing. We cannot see your account in fact we see nothing about you. There should be no further charges, however, I would confirm this with CS as most customers seem to be familiar with the terms of service when they sign up, It is very rare for me to be asked anything about payment.

This is the link for the terms of service http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0

When you feel comfortable understanding how the site works another attorney will be happy to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am satisfied that I paid for an answer to my question without a continuing monthly membership fee. I simply would like an answer to my initial question. Thank you

The entity that handles airports is Homeland Security https://www.tsa.gov/

They have jurisdiction to make the rules and enforce them based on the authority of the United States Government

TSA stands for Transportation Security Administration. This link sets out what you can carry on, and what you pack in your checked luggage https://www.tsa.gov/travel

Not knowing that different laws govern airports is not considered an excuse for violating the law. (I know that seems harsh) that being said the best thing we can do is get this behind you. Where in MO are located so I can provide a link for an attorney in your area that provides FREE consultations and that could assist you with the case?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm in Saint Louis MO. This site has been a waste of my time. I'm no closer to getting jnformation than I was. Thank you but no thank you. I will not recommend this to anyone.