Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I am charged with a federal crime that has a mandatory…

If I am charged with...
If I am charged with a federal crime that has a mandatory 6-12 month sentence, can a judge give you house arrest or anything else instead?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2016
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes. The Court can at its discretion suspend a sentence, for example. However, this is not common. In addition, the chances are better that the Court go off the guidelines for sentencing if your attorney files and has approved a Motion for Downward Departure.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am accepting a plea agreement of a charge that has a level 10 which is equivalent to 6-12 months. My lawyer said he should be able to get that down a couple levels which would mean no jail time. He also said he will probably be able to get me a cooperation letter too.(which would basically guarantee no jail time.
Does this make sense to you?

Yup, it does. This is not uncommon.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it also common to receive a plea offer before getting any other charges? I thought it was the other way around… You get charged for something for example which would mean 3-5 years, but then you enter into a plea agreement which we now take you down to 1-3 years.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been cooperating with the FBI with my lawyer for a couple years, and now recently my lawyer tells me is that they offered a plea… That was confusing. Because I was never arrested or charged with a higher level from what I know

Every case is different. It is not unusual to get a plea deal while other charges are still pending. A good attorney will then try to wrap any pending charges into that plea deal, i.e. get a promise that the Defendant would not be charged with anything else.

Ely, Counselor at Law