How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27109
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a felony conviction in Michigan, for arson, from

Customer Question

I have a felony conviction in Michigan, for arson, from about twenty years past. I pled out to be released from jail. Am I able to purchase a shotgun or rifle in Indiana?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, a felony will cost you both your state and Federal gun rights. Only after your rights are fully restored, including your gun rights, by the state that took your rights away in the first place, will the Federal government lift its ban and will you then be able to purchase a shotgun or rifle in another state.

Currently, you have neither state nor Federal rights, and Indiana cannot restore rights that are not theirs to give back.

In order to get your gun rights back in Michigan, you'd need to get your matter expunged. That expungement must specifically state that your rights are restored. Otherwise, if it does not or if you're not eligible for an expungement, you'd need a pardon from the governor of Michigan.

Here's the application for an expungement in Michigan. And here's the Pardon application as well. Neither requires a lawyer.

Good luck!

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.