Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A person convicted of a sex offense in 1979 required to

Customer Question
register as a sex offender...
A person convicted of a sex offense in 1979 required to register as a sex offender in California is he or she required to register as a sex offender in Colorado ,,and what are the procedures into relocating to Colorado
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/1/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Good morning:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

Sex Offender registration, when coupled with moving from one state to another, is governed by both the laws of the state in which the person is moving to and federal law.

Therefore, a person who is required to register as a sex offender in CA is also required to register in CO, both under CO and federal laws. CO addresses this under their revised statutes, found at C.R.S. 16-22-102 - C.R.S. 16-22-115. (A link to the statute is found here for your review: http://www.colorado.gov/apps/cdps/sor/info-statutes.jsf

Before moving on to your question of the process of relocating, I would like to pause here for a moment to see if you have any questions based on what I have provided or need any clarification.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My offense was in 1979,,, 22 years before the law came into effect California law is retroactive, what I am reading the World Wide Web is that Colorado is not a retroactive State and then I'm not required to register as my offense was 37 years prior

I think that may depend heavily on the type of offense(s) involved.

Let me do this. I will opt-out of the question thereby opening it up to another expert who may be able to assist you more thoroughly than I can right now.

In a moment, a new expert should be greeting you. They will have access to everything typed here already, so there is no need to re-type anything.

Please do not respond to this posting until you have been greeted by a new expert, as it may delay you getting the information you are looking for.

Thank you and good luck!

Criminal Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Ray here a new expert, you are correct this is grandfathered in , if the conviction was 1991 or after you have to register.You crime would predate here , but there are also some exceptions so verify that yours don't fall under the exceptions.

Any person who was convicted on or after July 1, 1991 in another state or jurisdiction of an offense that, if committed in Colorado, would constitute an unlawful sexual offense as defined in 18-3-411 C.R.S. is required to register in Colorado.

https://www.colorado.gov/apps/cdps/sor/info-statutes.jsf.

It appears to me that you are correct and registration is not required.The safe play is to contact them and verify that, it protects you from any claims otherwise.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

The contact person at the State of Colorado

for sex offender registry information is:

Chris Lobanov-Rostovsky

Program Manager

Sex Offender Management Board

Colorado Division of Criminal Justice

***** Suite 3000

Denver, CO 80215

***@******.***
p>

This is phone number.

I appreciate the chance to help you and for your patience.

Thanks again.

If you can rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question also was what is the process of making the move from California to Colorado, do you just pick up and relocate

Yes you would do so notifying them you are moving and where.

Reference.

When registrants change their residence address or suddenly become homeless, they are required to update their registration information within five days with a local agency, which forwards that information to DOJ. Transients must update their transient location every 30 days with a local agency. The DOJ updates the registered sex offender database on a daily basis, based on information received from local agencies. DOJ also updates the registered sex offender information on this Internet web site on a daily basis.

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/sexreg.aspx

Ask the Colorado person for written verification you do not have to register.They will likely agree with you here.Make sure you have dates and offense to provide them.Good luck here on the move.

Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible you can process that paperwork for me and if so what is it cost

I am not allowed clients offsite here, sorry they will not let me do so, only answer questions here.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer