Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am a recent college graduate working towards my masters…

I am a recent college...
I am a recent college graduate working towards my masters that has a less than stellar background almost twenty years old and I am having an issue applying with military contractors. I was told that I need to set aside my federal conviction to be eligible to receive a clearance. I am not well versed in this area and need assistance on how to proceed. Please advise
7/31/2016
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

I will need to know more about your conviction to be able to help you.

What were you convicted of?

In what court were you convicted?

What was the date and sentence.

Do your application with military contractors have anything to do with having the right to use firearms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the state of Iowa, possession of a controlled substance, Sentenced to Class C felony, April 4th 1997. Federal - Southern District of Iowa, Conspiracy to distribute controlled substance, September of 1999
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only if TDY overseas to hostile environment.

I asked you that because I am wondering if they want you to petition to have your civil rights restored (right to bear arms).

Was the Conspiracy to distribute in 1999 a second case? Are there two convictions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is part of the job and being able to work on the base as it requires training US military personnel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are two separate convictions in individual cases.

OK. That information helps

The only way to have your civil rights restored is to apply for a Presidential Pardon. Here is the link to the page where you will get all the information and the forms needed to apply for a pardon:https://www.justice.gov/pardon/application-forms

You meet the first requirement, which is to wait 5 years from the end of the sentence.

If your sentence is over, you will be petitioning to have your civil rights restored.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The civil restoration will have to be on a state level as well as a federal level in order to alleviate this matter?

According to the Office of the Governor of the state of Iowa, you must seek a Presidential Pardon to restore your gun rights if you have a Federal Conviction:

Here is the link: https://governor.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/FINAL%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions%20-%20updated%204-18-14.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a state conviction in 97 and a federal conviction in 99.

OK. You have to seek a pardon for the state conviction with the governor of Iowa:https://governor.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Firearm%20and%20Pardon%20Application.pdf

The Federal crime pardon application goes to the President.

Colleen Grady
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate your assistance in this matter, thank you.

Good luck to you!

Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady