Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is there a way to know if a legal document I received by

Customer Question
email is real?...
Is there a way to know if a legal document I received by email is real?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/30/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Any legal document can be verified as a document served on the court. You can check this by calling the Clerk of the Court mentioned in the document. If you give me the name of the court, I will give you the contact number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is an application for a search warrant that was never filed in court. It is part of an ongoing investigation.

I am a search warrant expert. I have written over 500 search warrant applications in my career. All search warrants must be brought to a judge, signed by a judge and then filed with the court. Some are "sealed" by the court pending the conclusion of the investigation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But what if the application was filled out by a prosecutor but never brought before a judge.

In order for a warrant to be legal, it has to go to a judge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. If the case was first investigated by local police and then went to a federal prosecutor, would the case number ***** the same as the one at the local police?

There would be different case numbers for the Federal court and the state court.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me for this question and the other question you asked me yesterday.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will there necessarily be a case number ***** with application for a search warrant (not the actual search warrant itself)?

The application is attached to the warrant. If the warrant was signed, a number will be attached.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the federal crominal code for accessory to sexual assault and accessory to victim intimidation?

18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact

It's the same for both.

Also, 18 U.S. Code § 2 - Principals

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that how it will be written in a search warrant?What if it is just the application for a search warrant and not an issued search warrant, would it have a case number?

No. The case number ***** only be assigned if the search warrant is issued.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.... And how will the criminal codes appear in an actual application for a search warrant?For accessory to sexual assault and accessory to victim intimidation

Usually there is general language such as "there is probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed" and specific detail about the facts of the crime. The actual statutes are not usually stated.

that is my experience in state court. However, in federal court the actual law is stated.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my help rating me for this question and yesterday's question. Click the stars for the rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What does the symbol mean after the US code?ex. 18 U.S. Code § 3

Section

Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady