Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My friend was beat up by her boyfriend a day ago, resulting

Customer Question
in a black eye, and...
My friend was beat up by her boyfriend a day ago, resulting in a black eye, and big bruises.
The last time he beat her HE called the police to say she beat him up, and took her phone so she could not call them. She went to jail for overnight. She makes just a touch over what is allowed to have a public defender, so she couldn't afford legal counsel. So, she ended up having to go to diversion and classes and do UA's etc. All of which she has complied with perfectly. When I saw her eye today I told her she needs to report him, and she is afraid that it will get her into more trouble. I told her I doubt this, but she is fearful, so i thought I would ask here.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/28/2016
Criminal Lawyer: attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, so you have read my question?

You are 100% correct. She must report him and get an order of protection against him.

Can you tell me where in Colorado she is located so I can find legal assistance for her with this situation in her area?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She works at my business. Ca I get a restraining order from him so he is not allowed to come to my place of business?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, sorry, she lives in Evergreen

You are doing all of the right steps. She needs to file one to get this on the record. Is she residing in Evergreen now? Where is he?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is one town over, four miles away. But he knows where she works and when, so that is my concern

She needs to file as the victim. You can certainly assist her as a witness. Does she live and work in the same area? In other words is this all happening in the same County?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is all in the same county

Perfect. I am started with a link for lawyers that provide assistance in the area http://attorneys.lawinfo.com/domestic-violence/colorado/evergreen/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think her filing charges against him can negatively affect her diversion? She doesn't want the prior incident, which was also him beating her, but he accused her of hurting him, to go on her record. I told her that as long as she is fulfilling the terms of her probation, it should all be fine. She is very afraid of him, obviously

I am afraid for her. I think if he is being violent toward her it will not stop without her moving forward. This link sets out the forms. https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=24

Give me a moment to set out the process.

This link sets out the process http://www.plogsteinlaw.com/frequently-asked-colorado-restraining-order-questions-part-1.html

I can provide a link for services in the area as well. http://ccadv.org/resources/

and http://jeffco.us/district-attorney/victim-and-witness-assistance/victim-and-trial-support-services/

Do you have any additional questions for me? Are you still with me? The attorneys do not receive credit for their time and work if you do not rate us positively. Thank you for your consideration. We appreciate your business.

Please do not hesitate to ask me ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

attyadvisor
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney