How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Kal Your Own Question
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 584
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Kal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got DUI on 7 17 16 waiting on my day in magistrates court.

Customer Question

Got DUI on 7 17 16 waiting on my day in magistrates court. Had a DUI back in 1978. BY law is this considered first offense because its been 38 years or am I looking at second offense DUI
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. Please allow me a few moments to review your post.

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 12 months ago.

Under Section 17C-5-2(n) of the W.V. Code, a non-first offender is anyone who has had a prior DUI within the past 10 years from the subsequent DUI. So the answer to your question would be after 10 years, from 1978, any DUI after that would constitute a first offense.

A link to the law is found here:

If you have any questions based on this, please ask.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time in providing general information until the asker clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance provided with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated.

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.


Just a reminder, a response to your question has been posted.

Related Criminal Law Questions