How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102349
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife's daughter has a criminal story and is very

Customer Question

My wife's daughter has a criminal history and is very unreliable . I am afraid that she will sell the ring or trade it for drugs.
I need to know if I should file a police report for grand theft or should I employ a lawyer to seek the return of the ring?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify what happened to the ring? Did your wife's daughter steal it? Does your daughter in law live in your household? Is your wife refusing to confront your daughter about it? Etc.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife found out she had terminal cancer in Nov. We set up for hospice and even with it we still needed some help so my wife asked her daughter to stay with us to help since her daughter was needing a place to live, again, she and her byfred moved in my wife past in Jan and her daughter stayed till last Mar or early Apr. when she left she took our wedding ring, value 3k,. I have sent her several e mails and contacted my wife's sister in an effort to get our ring back. Every time I contact her she has an excuse why she cannot be there. She has a history of drug abuse and a criminal record. When she lived with us before my wife had other jewelry that came up missing, her mothers wedding ring and a squash blossom necklace, another item from her late mother.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
You/your wife have two options which can be used:
1) File a police complaint. The police will investigate and may charge her with theft. However, this may not result in the ring being returned, especially if she claims innocence.
2) File a civil lawsuit for conversion (civil theft). If so, then the Court decides. The ring can be returned, or, she can be held liable for a judgment for the worth of the ring.
Perhaps the threat to do do BOTH/EITHER would be enough to have her return it without involving the Courts.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.