How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3471
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend that got in trouble 23 years ago and given a

Customer Question

I have a friend that got in trouble 23 years ago and given a bad rap as a sex offender, he got in trouble for failing to register and spent three months in jail. he got out and has been out for one month, he was offered a job from a company over the phone and told to show up the next morning he did. And they loved him and his work ethics, but now
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: they are telling him that because the company is based in Alabama and he works in Pulaski Tennesse and has not left that he is in violation and he didn't do anything and the people from Alabama fired him over the phone after him just being asked to work three double shifts from his supervisor because they like his work
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No can really afford one
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He was trying really hard to do what he was suppose to but they said that he was in violation because they didn't approve the job and didn't give 48 hours notice but he didn't get the chance they wanted him the next day and he didn't know he had to do that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now they are telling him that because he worked for the company in Pulaski Tennesse, for nine days never left the state, that Alabama can come after him for not telling them that he was a sex offender. The people he was working for in Tennesse new and they didn't care, but now they said he failed his background check and terminated him and now there threatening that he will do time in Alabama just for working at one of the company's in tennesse??? They were mean to him and told him that he was a piece of crap and they had a recording of him telling someone that he didn't like the guy that was he P.O and not some nice things and they are trying to hold that against him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they just added another month probation to him and made him have a curview from 6 am until 6 pm, how is he suppose to work with hours like that? He is 53 years old he has no new offenses, this Is not fair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company he was working for is called Flert? or Flirt they do something with putting car parts together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help him he is talking about killing himself if they make him go back to jail, he is to old for this stuff and he cant do the time anymore. He is not what they are trying to make him out to be, he is a good man and he works hard. He has four kids that he loves and a grandson, and he doesn't get to see any of them or his nieces or nephews and he never really did what he was accused of, anyway he didn't do anything wrong to deserve this.
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to read about your friend. However, because of his offense, the State has to be vigilant.

As you know, ignorance of the law is not a valid defense. Eventhough he was not aware that he needed to get permission or give 48-hour notice before taking the job, he is still in violation of his probation if he did not comply with the terms of his probation. At this time, he has no choice but to comply with the condition that he has been given. If he is suicidal, then you and other family members must get him some help. He can talk to his P.O. about getting him assistance. You can also use the resources below to find him some help:

Best wishes,

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not happy with the answer you gave me you did not answer any of my questions or give me any idea on what he could try to do or if it is illegal for him to work in Pulaski Tennessee and with the company that is based in Alabama and not have left Tennessee and then trying to tell him that he is now in violation in the Alabama can come after him because he did not tell them he's a sex offender and he never knew he had to do any of that you just basically went around everything I said and just picked up stuff I told you I need answers
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today, and I see your previous expert has opted out. By continuing, you agree that this conversation shall not be considered legal advice and that you understand I can only comment on the law in general and not give advice on your particular situation.

I see that your previous expert has responded about ignorance of the law not being an excuse. If you'll let me know what other specific questions you still have, I'll be more than happy to assist. Thanks!