How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27066
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a felony with judification in florida i have all my

Customer Question

I have a felony with judification in florida i have all my rights and i cant buy a gun til 3 years after probation ended but can i legally possess one if it is gifted to me
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Florida and the felony was judification withheld ,so im not a convicted felon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Nope
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


No, you have to wait the full three years to have anything to do with guns. If you have no right to buy one, you have no right to possess one either at this time. Please note that the Federal government considers adjudication withhelds to be convictions for purposes of their second amendment right. The Federal government will not restore Federal rights unless a former offender has all of his civil rights restored, including his full gun rights, and the felony set aside, pardoned or expunged.

That means even though Florida will allow you state rights in 3 years, you have no rights under Federal law and under the right circumstances, if Federal officers ever found your guns you could still be prosecuted.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.