Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son was charge with drug possession, he was a passenger

Customer Question
My son was charge with...
My son was charge with drug possession, he was a passenger of the car & just got picked up by the person that was driving his car & b cuz it's his car he was charged & didn't know anything about it & he is a parole, the issued a white Warrant please help me on what I can do 2 help my son.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/26/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

A white warrant is a warrant for parole violators. As you probably already know, a violation of parole can result in your son's having to go back and finish out the remainder of his sentence. It's also possible, however, for him to get a short term sanction of some sort. It will all depend upon the facts and circumstances of the violation and what comes out at the hearing.

What he needs is a lawyer for his parole violation hearing. It sounds like he's being charged for drug possession under a constructive possession theory. That is, although the drugs were not on him personally and he wasn't alone in the car, it was his car and therefore there was probable cause to believe that the drugs may have been his.

The doctrine of constructive possession create a presumption that your son may have possessed the drugs, but that presumption can turn out to be incorrect when the facts and evidence come out. That means it's very important for your son to have a lawyer at the hearing, to try to convince Parole and the court that the drugs belonged to someone other than himself and that he had no knowledge that they were in the car.

With a parole hold, bail is not possible. So, apart from seeing to it that he has counsel at his hearing, there's nothing else that you can do for him at this time.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD