How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26798
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal 17 year old girl from Texas to travel cross

Customer Question

Is it legal for a 17 year old girl from Texas to travel cross country with a 19 year old guy from Texas. She has her parents consent. And both live in the state of Texas.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 12 months ago.


It is legal for them to travel cross country with parental consent. It is not legal for him to have sex with her, however, as they are crossing state lines and she is under the age of Federal consent which is 18. So as long as sex is not part of the picture there wouldn't be a problem.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I thought 17 was legal age for consensual sex in Texas. Correct me if I'm wrong. What about States that the age is older such as 18.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 12 months ago.

It is the age of consent in Texas and if they want to sleep with each other in Texas, it's perfectly legal. But they are leaving the state. In other states she could be under the age of consent for that state. In other words, the fact that they are both Texans is not relevant in any other state. It's the law of the state they are in that counts.

On top of that, as I mentioned above, Federal law requires her to be 18 and he could be charged Federally for crossing state lines and having sex with her, even if the state would allow it. Your permission would not excuse that. You can't consent for her if she's underaged.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 12 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions