Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What do I need to do to get a restraining order against an

Customer Question

What do I need to do to get a restraining order against an individual? Do I need to have evidence gathered?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tx
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: This person won't quit bothering me after I have asked her several times to stop
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Why do I need to minimize?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, the best way to obtain a restraining order is to file criminal charges against the person for harassment and ask the judge to find the person guilty of that offense and also impose a restraining order for the person to stay away from you for a period of time -- usually 6-12 months.