How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34975
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband took out a loan online in my name. I am just

Customer Question

My husband took out a loan online in my name. I am just finding out about it. He says that I knew about it and agreed to it. How can I get out of it
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: TN
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We are in the middle of a divorce. But, this happened prior to us separating.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can have the divorce court assign this debt to him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I charge him with fraud?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

You can certainly can report this to law enforcement. What you are describing, if he pretended to be you to get this loan that would be a crime.

However, the police have discretion...they are not required to prosecute any particular case. So it may be you report and the police tell you that you need to use civil court.

But you can certainly ask

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.